Sunday, August 14, 2011

Reciprocity

In June, I had the privilege of hearing renowned futurist, Bob Johansen, talk about the forecast that he and his colleagues at the Institute for the Future see for the next 10 years.   Of the three major issues that they forecast to be prevalent in the next 10 years, the one that gives me the greatest hope for our planet is the idea of reciprocity.


Reciprocity is the idea of "getting and giving in equal measure" - although I would add that this doesn't always mean we get or give exactly the same thing, but perhaps we can agree that if you and I get and give what we need, then our arrangement is reciprocal.  We've all heard the term, "you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours."  That's reciprocity in action.  The amazing thing about reciprocity is that it requires each person to take a complete leap of faith in humanity and to trust that if they put something out there, they will get back something that they need, in equal measure.  Of course in my experience, I often get back much more than I give.....


I saw a great example of this through a social experiment conducted by a couple of people and a Starbuck's card.  Starbuck's shut down the card on Friday night, but if you want to read the original article, check out http://techcrunch.com/2011/08/08/i-am-jonathans-starbucks-card-a-social-payment-experiment-with-free-coffee/.


However, I saw a more personal and heartwarming example of reciprocity in my own front yard just this morning.  My youngest daughter, Elizabeth, asked to have lemonade stand.  Realizing that it would be far less effort and greater likelihood of success than the garage sale she had originally requested, I acquiesced, and this morning she awoke ready to begin her enterprise.


After we put together the cups and sign and money jar and lemonade, Elizabeth sat out in our front yard with her puppy tied to the table, but no one came...... She was joined by a couple of neighbors, and together they decided that they had a location problem, and they asked if they could relocate down the street to a "higher traffic" area.  As I was hauling the table and chairs and lemonade down the street, I asked some questions like how much were they going to charge and how were they dividing the money.  What I heard brought tears to my eyes, as they said, "Oh, it's not for us.  We're going to donate the money to the humane society."  DOH!  Stupid adult!  Of course it had never occurred to me that this might not be about them at all......


So they successfully relocated their stand and had much better business - so much so that I had to refill the lemonade several times.  Eventually they were joined by another 5 kids and parents contributed cups, cookies, and the like.


At some point, the kids got distracted, as children will do, and they left the money on the table with a sign that said "take what you want, leave what you want".  When we realized that they had left it unattended, they ran back to the table to find a second pitcher of lemonade, another tupperware of cookies, a $100 bill in their money jar as well as a $25 check for our local humane society.  What a great example of reciprocity - faith that there is enough for everyone, and everyone will give and get what they need, all demonstrated by a group of 5-9 year olds......


At the end of our highly successful day, I drove the lot of them to the humane society where they happily donated the day's haul of $141.25.  They were so happy and excited and proud - they felt good because they had put something out there, knowing that they'll get something back somewhere down the road, although I doubt they even thought of it that way.  Honestly I think it's just how they are if they're allowed to be.


As I watch Elizabeth yawn and stretch on the couch tonight, I am heartened by my renewed faith in humanity, the reminder that our children really do GET it, if we'll just give them a chance, listen to them, and not allow the cynicism of the world (including their parents) to beat the reciprocity, generosity and optimism out of them before they have the opportunity to use that perspective to change a world that so desperately needs change.


For more information on Bob Johansen or the work at the Institute for the Future, check out www.iftf.org or watch one of Bob's videos shown below.






And, as always, here's a great musical example.  Again - a group of kids (albeit very rich and famous kids), singing about reciprocity....









2 comments:

  1. Great story! Thanks for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely post, Shannon! Hope. Something we can all use more of with the weight of the news these days, no? Its obvious you were brought into my life for a beautiful reason:)

    ReplyDelete