Wednesday, June 8, 2011

When It's Right, It's Right

I was cleaning up my voice mail the other day, and I came across the message from Dr. Jim Ludema, the Program Director for the Center for Values Driven Leadership at Benedictine University and my associated doctoral program.   I smiled as I listened to his message of acceptance into the program and recalled the path that opened up to me that day.

I remembered the tears that came when I listened to the message for the first time.  It got me thinking about why I cried, and I realized that I cried because not only was it the beginning of the achievement of a 25 year goal, it was a step towards realigning my work towards my true purpose, as I do believe we all have a purpose for being here at this time, although I’m not sure we all figure out what it is.

You see, part of what lead me to Benedictine and this particular program had been a restlessness that I had been feeling, an awareness that I wasn’t doing what I was meant to be doing, and an acknowledgement that I was no longer sure what that was.   That feeling of restlessness drove me to do some soul searching – reassessing my values through list making and cross-referencing my values with how I actually spend my time.  I re-read “What Color Is My Parachute” and did the associated tests.  I spent some time really thinking and reflecting about what I liked doing – when I felt confident, when I enjoyed myself, when I lost track of time, when I felt strong and capable and effective.  I came up with words like reading, writing, thinking, creating new things, analyzing problems, presenting and public speaking.  After a conversation with my mother (yes, I must credit her again) wherein she asked when I was going to go back to school, I had the “a ha” moment where I realized that all of the things on that list were things that I do in school.

That realization led me to begin researching doctoral programs again, and the rest is history.

However, what I learned in our last class, “Leading Teams,” was that the things on that list were descriptions of my “strengths”.  As part of that course, we completed the Strengths Finder 2.0 assessment.  If you’re not familiar with this work, it was started by Donald O. Clifton and the Gallup Organization more than 50 years ago, and is a culmination of decades of research on millions of subjects including all kinds of people in a variety of roles (from housekeepers to CEOs) in all kinds of organizations.  This research has found that people have many times greater potential for growth when they invest their time and energy in developing their strengths instead of correcting their deficiencies (Rath, 2007).  People like Marcus Buckingham and Tom Rath have popularized this research in a variety of books that help you determine your strengths (although I would say you probably recognize them when you’re using them, you just might need some help naming them), and then figure out how to use them every day.  In addition, the report analyzes how your specific strengths work together, and how you might capitalize on what you have, and where you might need to supplement your strengths with others who have strengths in other areas.

I completed the strengths finder assessment and found that I had the following strengths.  Those of you who have known me for a long time, or who have worked with me, may recognize some of these (although you may not necessarily view them as strengths, depending on your experience with me!)

  • Strategic:  this allows me to notice trends, spot problems several steps out, come up with unusual or different ways of handling things, and to see problems as opportunities (and to convince others of that as well).  Often, when I see a problem, I’ve already come up with several alternative solutions before I even discuss the issue with anyone (which sometimes makes those close to me feel like I’m leaping before looking – see below for that explanation!);
  • Intellection (I think you could put my picture next to this one):  “you find the quality of your life improves greatly when you remove yourself from the world’s noise and distractions. Peace and quiet usually allow you to examine your thoughts, feelings, or past deeds more deeply. Because of your strengths, you are quite comfortable having time to yourself to enjoy a favorite pastime: reading.  You gravitate to people who converse about ideas at a deeper and more thoughtful level than most individuals are capable of doing. “Making small talk” — that is, engaging in idle conversation — probably seems like a waste of time to you.”  See,  you all thought my Einstein’s addiction was coffee related – it’s really just my “intellection” strength at work!
  • Connectedness: a faith in the links between all things. I believe there are few coincidences and that almost every event has a reason, even if we don't always know what it is.  (Credit to mom again, as one of her favorite expressions was, “Things happen for a reason.”) 
  • Activator:  This helps me take thoughts and put them into action, might make me impatient, often take the lead, like to prove that the “impossible” is possible, ask for forgiveness instead of permission.  Once a decision is made, I want to get it started right now.  (I think my mom would confirm this one in me, even as a child......)
  • Maximizer:  This means that I know what I do well and what I don’t do well, and I try to surround myself with people who can take something I’ve started that’s good and make it superb, or take an idea that’s come out of all that strategy and intellection and actually put it into action.  It also means I avoid activities I find confusing, hard or unpleasant (absolutely guilty). 


These strengths are further categorized into leadership-specific areas of executing, influencing, relationship building, strategic thinking (Rath and Conchie, 2009).

I’ve got to say, I felt so GOOD when I read my strengths.  I no longer felt crazy or like some of these things are bad things – it shifted my perspective to look at them as positives instead of focusing on the things I don’t do well (um, like actually finishing something.  I do recognize that I am missing strengths in the “executing” area.  Thank God for many of you who have been able to take my thoughts and ideas and actually DO something with them!) 

Anyway, it was an affirming experience, and one I’d recommend for anyone who finds themselves trying to figure out “what comes next.” I’ve listed some references below if you’re interested in exploring things further.  

They have expanded the work into children, tweens, teens and 20-somethings to try to help people figure out their strengths earlier in life, so they can capitalize on them in school, rather than waking up at 42 trying to figure out where they belong, like I did.  But today, I know that I am exactly where I am supposed to be, and I am confident that wherever this journey takes me, it will be towards the purpose that my strengths support.


http://www.victorencinas.com/victors-blog/career-tool-apply-strengthfinders-2-0-to-your-job-search
An old friend, Victor Encinas, frequently recommends and references Strenths Finder 2.0 in his coaching business.  Check out the link abovefor his perspective and services.

will get you to a YouTube video of Marcus Buckingham talking about his latest book, The Truth About You, which is geared towards older teens and early 20s to try to help them focus on their strengths at an early age.

www.strengthsfinder.com is the website for the whole movement, all the books, etc.  Each book purchase comes with a code for the assessment and associated report. 

https://www.strengths-explorer.com/default.aspx is a website geared specifically for 10-14 year olds with an assessment tool and associated materials to help younger children start playing to their strengths.

http://strengths.gallup.com/114595/Welcome-Bucketbook-com-Users.aspx is a website and book geared towards younger children.





Rath, T. (2007).  Strengths finder 2.0.  New York:  Gallup Press.
Rath, T. and Conchie, B. (2009).  Strengths based leadership.  New York:  Gallup Press.

1 comment:

  1. http://www.victorencinas.com/victors-blog/career-tool-apply-strengthfinders-2-0-to-your-job-search

    ReplyDelete